[VAL] CB antenna location on Airstream

Hi Tom,

On five different Airstreams, I've mounted the CB antenna on the side
of the refrigerator vent closest to the air conditioner.

On my first installation, there was no screen under the vent so the
antenna wire was dropped directly down the chimney and snaked inside to
a cabinet wall where the CB itself was attached.

One time when there was a screen,  I lifted the screen along the side,
slipped the wire down the chimney and re-secured the screen with caulk.

Another time I didn't disturb the screen but drilled a hole in the
chimney extension above the roof  line and slipped the wire down the
chimney.

Each time, I've used an antenna with a base load and spring. This is to
maximize flexibility of the antenna itself and hopefully avoid any an
errant tree limb snapping off the antenna.  Been there, done that -
learned my lesson.

I'm about ready to install an antenna on our 1989 Airstream. Currently,
I'm using a "Hidden Ears" antenna which is okay for nearby transmission
and reception, but not for long distance. I have not found a base load
antenna with a spring. In the past every Radio Shack had a dozen
hanging on the wall. If you find one, I hope you'll rattle my cage.

As for the adapter which holds the antenna base to the refrigerator
vent, I've used scrap aluminum and shaped it to fit. One time, I
scavengered the connector from a no longer used fold-down CB antenna.
Another time, I reshaped the connector that came with the antenna.

A whip antenna on the rear bumper was used once, but I decided the
signal diameter was too lopsided. The center of the roof location is
noticeably more satisfactory for my needs.

You didn't ask, but I'd suggest buying a CB with weather channels
included. These are routinely available at truck stops like Flying J
for less than $100 and look to me like they have more features than the
ones at Radio Shack. Also, most truckers will freely offer their
opinions about which brands are most dependable - AND where to find a
technician who can maximize the radio's performance (perhaps in
non-traditional ways).

Also, I'd suggest buying a separate weather radio (Radio Shack) with a
"sliding tuner" for those occasions where NONE of the fixed signals on
the CB provide reception in your location.  Been there, done that - and
learned my lesson.

Lastly, I've seen owners who put a remote speaker near their map table.
Another owner put the speaker in his bathroom so he could hear it while
shaving.

Terry