[VAL] Old Diesel Trucks

Hi All:

Got in late on this thread, but I specialized in old Ford Diesels for
years. The pre-'88 trucks are all 6.9L, which are just as expensive to
replace as a later normally aspirated 7.3L. Both rebuilts are in the $5-7K
range, easily totalling the truck should engine failure occur.

An '85 F250 diesel 2wd with 200-300k miles is worth around $2500 around
here (NC). $900 for any one that runs is a good deal, the engine is easily
worth that much, the transmission and rear end are worth that much as well.
The only way I would not be highly suspiscious of a truck this cheap is if
the body is damaged or rusted.

At any rate, on most of the old trucks I do the following: 1)Check the oil,
see if there is any discoloration. Any milky looking substance is an
indication water is getting in the oil, probably a head gasket, which 6.9L
engines are very prone to do. 2)Look for smoke out the tailpipe. Obviously
diesels smoke black, especially older ones with no Cat. White smoke can
indicate either water in the cylinders, leaking injectors, bad injector
pump. 3) Check the condition of the rest of the drivetrain - transmission,
u-joints and rear end. These components are no more expensive than a gas
truck. 4) Don't be surprised if it doesn't crank the next morning after you
buy it. Most of these old trucks need glow plugs and timers, and for some
reason the folks that have these trucks think it's easier to use starting
fluid. 5) Unless you know the person selling the truck, do not believe the
mileage. These trucks have 5 didgit odometers that have spun around many
times. I know of an '86 6.9L still running around here with the original
engine and 400k+ miles.** If there were ANY problems with the engine or
transmission (like an automatic slipping) there is no way I'd hook a
trailer up to the truck and haul it the distance you described.

Lastly, if I bought such a truck and was going to drive it the distance, I
would fully service the engine. The 6.9L trucks of that vintage have 2
seperate fuel filters, one for water on the firewall (lots of folks take
these off) and one on the right front of the engine. If the transmission
were an automatic, I'd service it as well.  I'd take a long hard look a the
belts and hoses. Check the mileage on your odometer when you fill up. You
should be able to get at least 225mi/tank. I say this because the fuel
guages on the old trucks are prone to be inoperable, and you DON'T want to
run it out of fuel. Ask any of your friends that have diesel cars or trucks
how much fun that is. The floats and sending units are $200/each, plus you
have to drop the tanks to install. Those old trucks have 5 belts on them
rather than the one serpentine belt on the newer trucks, and they jump
around all over the place when the truck is running. If one goes, they all
go. Any other items, unless completely shot, can be replaced when you get
it home. I don't like to do major work on any vehicle prior to taking it on
a trip. I like to drive around town a few days to make sure everything is
ok.

The good part of the old trucks, though they don't have the power of the
new DIT's, is the fuel economy. I regularly got 18mpg overall, and well
over 20mog on the road with a 6.9. The powerstrokes I've had struggle to do
14-16mpg. Hope this info is helpful. If you need to ask any more specific
questions, feel free to contact me off list.

Mark Pate
Spectrum Automotive
Stanley, NC