Re: [VAL] tire pump

Dave,

I carry one of the little 12 V DC air compressors sold almost everywhere
nowadays in each of my vehicles, and they do a good job when needed.  They will
go up to 150 PSI or so if you need it.  (Altho it takes a while.) I had a
Sanborn compressor with a built in 12 V gel cell battery and a pressure gauge
that worked fine for years until the rubber hose dried out and cracked.  The
hose is crimped on to the compressor so it won't be easy to replace.  I think I
only paid $30 for the compressor ten years ago so I guess I'll just pitch it.

If you are shopping for one, a built in gauge is a nice feature.  The tire chuck
clips onto the valve so stopping to check the pressure is a nuisance.  One of my
compressors is a Campbell-Hausfeld that gets around that problem by having a
little valve stem of its own on the tire chuck that lets you check the pressure
with a tire gauge while it's filling.

Best,
John Sellers
WBCCI/VAC # 1587