RE: [VAL] Vent pipes

You're welcome, Daisy. Hopefully, when you're ready to remove & replace the
ring you won't run into what may be a common problem. In one of my postings
a few months ago I noted that I couldn't get the toilet loose from the
closet flange because I thought the PO had substituted silicone adhesive in
place of the rubber & wax bowl ring. Yesterday, I was talking to one of our
members who was having a similar problem removing his toilet, and now I
wonder if the silicone adhesive was something either done at the factory or
commonly done by service techs? I can visualize the factory doing this
either because there was a shortage of bowl rings, or perhaps it was thought
that the best way to prevent leaks and escaping sewer gas at the base of the
toilet was to completely glue it in place.

Daisy, if your toilet has been similarly glued down you may be faced with a
dilemma. I was finally able to get the toilet loose only because the plywood
floor was completely rotted away and could turn the entire toilet to unscrew
the flange from the holding tank, but likely your floor is solid and if it
is you will be stuck - literally. So, I'll put it to the list - does anyone
have any suggestions on getting a toilet loose when it has been glued down
with silicone adhesive, short of destroying either the toilet, the floor,
and/or the holding tank to do so?

Forrest