[VAL] Re: Romex

Speaking as another electrical engineer, I think people on this list
should pay more attention to Gerald, specifically about electrical
things! I can add a few bits of data to the discussion.

There is no difference between solid and stranded for DC or AC, at least
any frequency AC that we'll be dealing with. The finer points of skin
effect aside (stranded wire doesn't have to be Litzendraht to have
reduced inductance, because it has more exposed surface area even if
some of the surface area contacts other strands) solid and stranded work
the same. That said, I used *no* solid wire in my 1971 Tradewind
restoration; I have seen two connections that failed due to vibration
work-hardening the copper and leading to a fracture, one potentially
quite hazardous. There is still some Romex in there and eventually it
will all come out.

The aluminum sheathed MC cable is available with stranded THHN
conductors. I think this is overkill for Airstreams though.

The nylon outer jacket of THHN is provided to make it easier to pull in
conduit. It deteriorates badly in sunlight.

It's hard to accept this, but solder actually weakens the typical joint,
especially to stranded wire (because it concentrates stresses at the
points where the solder ends). My trailer goes boondocking quite a bit
and gets seriously shaken up, so making the connections rugged is
important. I have not had a failure using properly crimped stranded wire
with good quality terminals. That last point is very important. Scrimp
on the wire if you like, but not on the terminals. There are two grades
typically available -- those with opaque PVC jackets, many of them
imported (and stamped from plated soft brass), and those from T&B or
Burndy with see-through jackets (and contacts that are typically hard
tempered brass, sometimes with a steel or copper insert). The
transparent jackets are a requirement for use in aircraft; you have to
be able to inspect the crimp to see that the wire made it out the other
side, which you can't see in the opaque ones. Use the right size ring
lugs for the wire you're using and the studs of the terminals on
switches etc. and you'll not have problems with stray strands. Don't
attempt to wrap a stranded wire around a terminal screw and expect that
it will stay put under vibration.

As far as knowing what wire is which, color coding is good  but you can
also label the circuits with a 3M tape that has numbers on it. Assuming
that you don't have an aircraft shop you can visit that prints the
circuit name every foot on the wire ;)