[VAL] Skin tears

    All,

    In the course of getting the water heater up and running yesterday
(thanks to everybody for all your invaluable help) I happened to remove
great globs of silicone sealer from around the edges of the heater as it
mounts to the skin.  Lo and behold, hidden beneath the worst of the globs at
either top corner are two skin tears about an inch long each.  I have to
assume that they are the result of someone (the factory?) cutting a square
corner when fitting the heater.

    Can I halt the spread of these tears by drilling the ends of them and
installing a pop rivet in each?

    What do the experts have to say?

    Thanks in advance,

    Glyn Judson