Re: [VAL] Insurance coverage

Greetings Pam!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

There are seveal insurance companies that offer "stated
value" or "agreed value" insurance policies for our Vintage
travel trailers.  I have had a history with both American
Family (1994-2000 while I was a Wisconsin resident and for a
brief period after relocating to the Quad Cities in
Illinois) and Foremost (from 2000 to the present).  In both
instances, my local agent was able to handle the transaction
- - American Family sent in their own appraiser, and
Foremost asked that I provide an appraisal (my insurance
agent provided a list of acceptable appraisal sources).

There was really only one reason that I left American Family
- - they evidently aggregate claims and after the third
claim in a three year period (one for wind storm damage on
house and one of my cars, one for an accident with my
Suburban, and one for minor accident damage on my Airstream)
they placed all of my insurance into a high-risk pool where
the premium was four times what I had been paying (needless
to say I immediately changed carriers).

I have been with Foremost for over five years now, and have
been favorably impressed with their operation.  I can't
offer any opinioon as to claim handling as I have been claim
free on my travel trailer insurance and auto policies for
more than five years.

Probably the best place to start looking for insurance is
with the current carrier for your automobile coverage if you
have been satisfied with their coverage and responsiveness
to your needs.  Ask your agent for details about "agreed
value" or "stated value" coverage for your Airstream -- the
answer to that question will be a first indicator of whether
you will need to expand your search.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado
Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)