RE: [VAL] Goodyear Marathons ect.

Discount Tire's invoice states that it is a Greenball tire, load range D,
but on the casing it says "RONGDA HighwayMaster" and is a 6 ply nylon casing
with 4 ply sidewall, 7.00 15 LT, max spd 85 mph, max load 2040 single axle,
1820 dual at 60 psi. It has held up well so far, but I'm not endorsing it,
just responding to Jim's question. I exchanged the three made in India (one
spare) for just the cost of balancing. My Globe Trotter loaded weighs in at
about 3,500 lbs., well within the 4040 lb. capacity of the tires, which is
why I don't inflate them to the max 60 psi. At 60 psi the tires would wear
unevenly, in fact the first sixty miles or so when I first used them, I kept
them at 60 psi and then stopped to examine the tread. There was no wear what
so ever on the outer edges, and towing seemed a bit skittish as the tire
imprint on the pavement was minimal. 50 psi turned out to be the nominal
tire pressure for my application.

Since I mentioned balancing, sometimes the list discusses whether tires
should be balanced on or off the trailer. I've always had them balanced off,
the same as a car tire, but worried that the drum might be off balance. I
settled that, at least to my satisfaction, by riding in the trailer while my
wife drove us down the highway. It is illegal to do that in most states so
again, I'm not advocating it, but it does let you know first hand what the
condition of the trailer suspension, and wheel balance is. Just be sure to
sit directly over the axles if you decide to try this so that your body
weight does not significantly affect the tongue weight.

Forrest