RE: [VAL] lamp

Funny you should ask because when I was looking the bulb up in my owners
manual, it was listed as a "flood light" in 1967.

I suspect that people started complaining about replacing melted lenses.  To
counter this, Airstream changed the terminology to "scare light", and
probably advised salesmen to stress the importance of only leaving the light
on for the short amount of time necessary to scare off whatever the owner
perceived as a "situation".

If I am not mistaken, I believe Signal-Stat originally developed the fixture
for use as a backup light, i.e. an application that does not stay
illuminated for hours on end.

To speculate further, a light fixture change was probably not made because
the Signal-Stat's presentation goes extremely well with the overall look of
an Airstream.  A more suitable fixture would have to be vented to dissipate
the heat generated by a bulb capable of producing enough light to warrant
installing any sort of exterior light fixture.

But the above is just my reverse engineering.  :-)

Tom