RE: [VAL] Re: VAL Digest V2 #182

Of all the problems I have seen concerning the Univolt on my 1966 Safari
"cooking batteries", I have never heard the hum that so many others have
reported.  Mine works quietly and "keeps on tickin" like a champ. "If it
ain't broke . . . don't fix it!"

The fault of "cooking" batteries is my own neglect.  I suspect that a lot of
others, like me, don't give these coaches the exercise that Wally intended
for them.  They were travel trailers  using up their charge by night so that
the next day the automobile generator replenished the charge back up and
life was beautiful.

Now, in my case, the unit is parked in a mobile home park and plugged in all
the time.  So naturally the Univolt just does it's job all the time.  So if
I have to buy a marine deep cycle battery every two years at Wal-Mart it
costs $80??

That's $40 bucks a year for reliable DC power.  Until my Univolt starts
humming "Amazing Grace" or doing something else problematic, I will continue
my practice of limited exercise by turning on fans and fluorescents when I
am gone out for the day.  I might even try to unplugging the coach while I'm
out, and doing the same exercise to see how far down the batts can be
discharged.

I've got the power and the time.

Bob Kiger