[VAL] Goodyear Marathon tires

  I'm still looking for an alternative to Marathon tires. My spare tire blew
up at the Florida State Rally.  There was no damage done except to the tire
cover and the nerves of my neighbors. (they thought there had been a drive by
shooting!). I had ordered a another set of Marathons just before the rally.
When they came in, they had a DOT date of 0803 (Feb'03). I refused those.
  I think there must be a design defect in Marathon tires. I've bought 4 of
them and 2 have blown up. (Goodyear paid for the wheel well damage after the
first tire blew up.) The "s" upgrade is only available in the 15" size but I
think the defect must extend to all sizes. When the dealer removed the spare
from the wheel, there was a bubble on the inside right below the area that
blew. This tire probably had 5000 miles on it, had always been covered, and
didn't show any signs of dry rot. It was an older tire, but I was only using
it as a spare until I found new tires. The ones I have on the ground are 3yrs.
and 5 yrs.
  Has anyone heard of any problems with Towmaster tires?

Jim