Re: [VAL] Back to Magic Chef

Bob,

I likely have the exact same Magic Chef range as you, since I also have a
'66, but we use our range all the time. Lift the stove top open, under it,
on the left (most likely) will be a valve, turn the handle so that it is 90
degrees to the gas pipe and that will shut off all gas to the range, and
will turn off your oven pilot light. That is the position it should always
be in while traveling, on the move, or in storage since when the handle in
down, parallel to the gas pipe there will be gas going to the stovetop's
pilot light as well as the oven pilot light. Likewise there is a smaller
handle valve near the front, under the stove top, that works the same way
and it independently turns on the gas to and from the oven pilot light. The
range is potentially dangerous because if you forget to close the valves,
and don't shut off the gas at the LPG bottles then they will continuously
leak gas into the interior of your coach, unless of course they are lit.
Although it is unlikely that you would forget to turn off all three valves
there is also the possibility that a pilot light might go out either from
air in the line or from misadjustment. So, the best thing is to always lift
the lid of the stovetop and shut off the main or larger valve there whenever
you are finished using the range. The reason I've gone into this in detail
is that you said you prefer to light the burners individually with a lighter
instead of letting the pilot light do it, well if that is what you want to
do, just be sure that the adjustment screw in the valve to the stovetop
pilot light is screwed down all the way so as to shut off all gas to it.
This is as clear as mud, isn't it? Perhaps this is something that should be
demonstrated at our next Rocky Mt. VAC rally?

Forrest