Re: [VAL] '54 Liner

Vanessa,

I don't believe that split rims are inherently dangerous.  However,
since they are more than one piece, they must be assembled correctly and
to prevent accidents they are assembled inside a cage to contain the
parts if they come apart during assembly.  I remember that they were
used on pickups and heavy trucks into the 1960's, perhaps because they
were stronger or just because of their size, the tire machines could not
put the large tires on one piece rims.  It will take someone older than
me to provide the answers.

Bill Kerfoot
WBCCI/VAC #5223
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon