Re: [VAL] Overlander Toilet Question

To my knowledge, there are no specific replacement parts available for the
old Thetforld Slide-O-Matics used in the 1964 to 1966 Airstreams.  The fact
that they mount under the fiberglass surround makes replacement with a newer
toilet almost impossible without cutting the surround.  Look at enough
pictures of '64-'66 Airstream and you are bound to see a few photo's with a
newer toilet sticking up thru the surround.  Most parts for a Slide-O-matic
will probably have to come from salvaged trailers.

However, if your Water Valve leaks, there are options.  Before we sold our
'66 Overlander, I had to replace the Water Valve - the valve that controls
the fresh water used during a flush.  I was able to make one from a newer
Thetford toilet work.  It was plastic, where the original was brass, but it
worked.  I never had to deal with a leaking flush valve, so I can't tell you
if one from a newer Thetford might possibly work.

Let me state a few words of caution, however.  While I was researching my
options on the Water Valve, I found some information that stated that the
old risers used in these toilets are very brittle.  I think that is the part
you (or was it Forrest?) are saying is stuck to the floor.  This is the part
between the Flush Valve and the floor or black tank.  Word is that these
risers can easily crumble and are not replaceable.  Take extreme care if you
try to remove it - luckily I didn't have to risk it.

I will also admit that just trying to figure out how to take a Slide-O-Matic
apart without removing the fiberglass surround looks like a daunting task.
To get the Flush value out, I wonder if you have to take out the Bowl, the
Riser, or neither, and in what order.  Good Luck!

Joe
'85 25' Sovereign
But looking for another vintage unit