[VAL] Re: VAL membership

Roger you are spreading a bunch of misinformation, adding to confusion and
making my job harder and even more time consuming. WBCCI dues are not due in
July!!!

They are on a calendar year basis (check your blue book if you have one, or
contact your local unit's treasurer.) There is an earlier cutoff date of Nov
1 for inclusion in the Membership Directory.

What starts in July is a "free period" for those who join later in the year,
so they don't unfairly pay a full year's dues for a half year's (or less)
membership. The VAC also does this to be fair to new members.

Wayne and Linda Moore did not always send out dues reminder notices. I am
under the impression that they never did, but I don't know that for sure.
What I do know for sure is that by the time Wayne handed the job over to me
that the practice was long gone. Much of my first year on the job was spent
renewing people who's dues had expired AT LEAST a year prior, sometimes two
or more years prior. The one reoccurring comment that they made was, "I
didn't receive a dues notice." This was after repeated notices in the VA
which they obviously did not read, and an email notice that Wayne tried.

Sometimes it just takes missing 2 years worth of newsletters for some people
to realize that there is a problem and to do something about it.

It was only after showing the board that since 2002 we have had a miserable
50% member renewal rate did I get the money budgeted to me to pay for a
renewal notice. A mailing is a last ditch effort here. 1st were repeated
pleas in the VA. 2nd was email notices. Boy there were a lot of bounced
emails! The board looked at several options other than another mailing, each
was struck down due to cost.

I would love to use the bulk mail option, but do not have that info
available to me, nor was it offered by the board, which tells me that no one
on the board really knows about it, or thinks that it is too much of a
bother. But the advantage of going the first class route is that they will
be forwarded if a change of address is on file, and returned if
undeliverable. Right now we have someone who has paid through 2009 whose new
address we cannot find! You would be astounded if you knew how much bulk
mail disappears without reaching the recipient or being returned to us even
with forwarding/return service being requested.

I'm getting off my soapbox now.

Scott Scheuermann
VAC Membership