[VAL] going to two batteries

Hello all-
I'm interested in replacing the standard lead acid battery in our 1979
@ 31' with (preferably) two glass mat batteries to greatly increase our
ability to go without A/C power for longer periods of time. Our coach
came with one lead acid, accessed through it's own door from the
outside front. The compartment is sealed from the interior of the coach
and can accommodate only one battery.
What's my best course of action re: installation of two batteries-  in
parallel? My fuse panel has "battery #2" AGU 50 fuses installed (there
are four AGU 50 fuses total: one positive for battery 1, one positive
for battery 2; one negative for battery 1 and one negative for battery
2). I'm not sure if this would have been for an optional second
battery, and if so, should I consider wiring the batteries in to the
fuse box separately?  Lastly, do glass mats need to be vented, and are
they still considered "state of the art"?
I use a 60 amp  Intelli-Power and charge wizard.

As usual, thanks in advance for the sage advice!

Chris Koehn
currently in SW New Mexico