Re: [VAL] Humphrey gas light on eBay

Forrest,

My 1971 Tradewind has the tie on  mantle. Before I got
my wheelsa and brake drums balanced, the mantle would
disintegrate during every trip due to vibration, and I
would have to "tie one on" at the destination before I
could to use the lamp....and then tie on a new mantle.
Anyways, the tie on mantels are very inexpensive
compared to the ones with the solid base, which I
believe are screw on mantles.
I do like the gas lamp, it definitely makes a bright
white light, like a 60W or larger light bulb would. It
uses very little energy. Burning in the mantels makes
a nasty chemical fallout type smoke cloud. Can't be
good for you to inhale, my guess. I run the ceiling
fan when that becomes an issue.
The ceramic nozzle that holds the mantle unscrews
easily, revealing a gas jet right below. It's very
easy to change.
I ran mine at the Colorado VAC Rally last year, and it
seemed to work just as well as it did at sea level in
Mexico. So I'm not sure what's up with the jetting
thing. My lamp has a gas valve that adjusts the gas
flow, maybe that's why my jetting is more universal.
I'd say buy a new one, with the right kind of finish.
My 63 Overlander project will receive one soon. I like
the chrome finish the best.
Hope to see you at teh VAC Rally in 2005
Uwe