[VAL] Another Bike Rack Solution

I went through the same process of wanting to put a rack on the back of my
trailer and it was members of this list that convinced me that it wasn't
such a good idea.

My solution was to take an old Thule roof type rack and convert it (easily)
to mount into the front stake holes of my truck bed.  It's the type of rack
that holds the bike by the front fork.  My set up holds three adult bikes.
The bikes take up a lot of room in the bed, but you can stuff a lot of stuff
around the bikes.  I also carry a large utilility box (2'x2'x4 1/2') in the
aft end of the bed (short bed) and there is still enough room for the bikes.

This system works great for me.  It's easy to put the bikes in and out.  And
what's really important to us is that the bikes are always with the truck.
Even though a lot of biking is done in and from the campground, there are
many times when we take the bikes to somewhere else to use them.  Another
benefit is when we are not camping the rack is always on the truck, so
minutes.  This is my best ever bike rack solution.

If anyone wants a picture, let me know.

Rick Langer
'66 GT #3847, VAC