RE: [VAL] Rear Bumper Mounted Spare Tire on Airstream

Greetings Marc!

Based on my experience with my '64 Overlander, I would avoid adding
anything of appreciable weight to the rear bumper.  My Overlander was
fitted with a rear bumper spare tire mount shortly after it was
purchased new - - a few years ago (about three years ago), I paid the
price - - $1,500+ for repair of a rear separation that was aggravated if
not caused by long-term lever action of the spare tire and mount on the
frame.

The original location for the spare (at least in '64 and possibly in '57
was behind the LP tanks on the hitch).  Since I have switched to 40
pound Worthington LP tanks on my coach, there wasn't enough room to
mount the spare on the tongue so I now reluctantly carry it in the rear
of my tow vehicle - - I am contemplating having one of the current
under-floor mount spare tire carriers adapted to my coach in the not too
distant future.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359