[VAL] need help with getting it registered

I seem to be having a bit of trouble getting my 65 AS registered and a
license plate.  I live in NY and bought it from a guy in Louisiana.  We met in Va.
He signed over the title which I took to the DMV.  It should have been
notarized at the time of the sale.  I'm a bit hesitate to mail it to him and ask to
have it notarized.  What if he never sends it back?  The woman at the DMV had
no solution.  *And* I need a statement from an AS "dealer" on their letterhead
stating the weight.  Any ideas?  She said it would not be good enough to try
to get a statement from someplace on line.

Help!!

Ann Dunham