[VAL] Route 66

You must go on Route 66, as short as it is!

We drove on parts of Route 66 last March (we did a circle from Phoenix up to
Vegas back to Grand Canyon and down to Phoenix/Tucson area)

We did NOT have a trailer with us, however, Route 66 would be great fun with
LOTS of fabulous vintage-type photo opportunities with your Airstream.

The longest, still-existing stretch of original Route 66 is in Arizona,
between Kingman and "Ash Fork" (close to Williams).

A couple of things I noticed is that it is easy to MISS the freeway exits to
get on to Route 66. And once you're on it, it's a bit confusing getting out
of Kingman, and the scenery is pretty mundane. BUT, after about 15 minutes,
ugly sprawl gives way to desolate high-desert scenery and it's marvellous.
(no services along here!)

There are some worn-out vintage drive-ins en route, and it's pretty fun to
stop for a cola or ice cream.

Sunset Magazine website has an archived article about driving on Route 66
www.sunset.com

There are many personal websites about epic journeys on Route 66, and those
are very interesting to read before your trip, too.

I was surprised that there weren't really any roadside interpretive stops.
It seemed pretty much forgotten. The red-colored pavement was interesting --
that's original from what I understand.

The drive down from Flagstaff to Sedona along Oak Creek Canyon was very
pretty, but you need to know that it is narrow and there are some steep
curves and hills. And who knows what havoc that recent flooding has caused.
Once you're in Sedona, make sure you leave time to view the ruins at
Montezuma Castle (not to mention many other points of interest in beautiful
Arizona).

And if you can skip driving directly through Phoenix, if that's on your
route, then do so! I don't mean to offend any Phoenix residents, but as an
out-of-towner, I found it  confusing (due largely to such rapid growth in
metro Phoenix area)

Marg