Re: [VAL] Re: VAL Digest V2 #115

    Marie,

    Thanks for the posting of your lovely Airstream.

    I wonder if I could ask you a question that involves taking a single
measurement?  I'm about to install an access door in the curbside, aft of
the wheel well in our 1969 Caravel.

    I see that you have what appears to be one in almost the same place in
your photo gallery.  It's 6 of 22, entitled Shoulda bought a case of gloves.
Can you tell me how far the bottom of the opening is from the floor?

    The reason I ask is that I've been given conflicting information on the
placement of it.  One thought from an Airstream repair facility is that the
bottom of the opening should be even with the plywood floor (I think not but
what do I know) and the other as told to me by the Tech Reps at Airstream is
that it should be above the floor a bit for reasons probably other than why
yours is that way.

    The genuine, vintage, Airstream 12" X 20" access door and frame I'm
installing will be centered horizontally on the aft rib, right at the seam
of the end cap and the curbside panels.  They want me to tie the bottom of
the rib to the bottom of the door frame and do the same at the top.  Raising
the bottom lip up a bit from the plywood will allow me some working room to
bend and rivet the rib ends to the frame.

    So if it's no trouble, could you tell me that measurement?

    I've completed the total restoration of our interior too and in
rebuilding that berth frame, came to realize that there's no way to gain
convenient access to a large area of storage under the curbside pullout
berth.

    Please let me know if you'd be interested in seeing the finished photos.

    Thanks so much for sharing yours with us all,

    Glyn Judson
    1969 Caravel #508
    Santa Monica CA