[VAL] RE: VAL Digest V2 #106 - Rivet Shaver

>     Thanks for the link to the drawing of the shaver.  Wow........expensive
>for cutter even if it is on the precision side.

This is why I think the rivet shaver is well worth the price:

Several years ago, when I bought my '64 Airstream Ambassador International,
I planned three projects for it that required buying the rivet shaver from
Airstreamdreams.com as well as a goodly quantity of rivets and Vulkem and
replacement teardrop running lights.

This Airstream had been sitting under a number of large maple trees along a
small river and been left unused and un maintained for about twenty years
as far as we can tell.  It had an old replacement water heater and still
the original furnace which in '64 was from some other manufacturer than
Suburban or Atwood, both of which were rusted out. The refrigerator vent
was broken and the range hood vent cover was broken and to add insult to
injury, way back, the previous owner had added a large box shroud over the
air intake/exhaust unit for the furnace on the outside of the trailer which
had subsequently been bashed into objects as the trailer had been towed and
indications were it had been ripped off the trailer several times by the
number of pulled out holes where it had been attached using steel sheet
metal screws, all very rusty when I acquired the trailer. The same for an
adaptor panel supporting the exterior face of the water heater as the "old"
replacement heater was much smaller than the original.

My experiences in the Air Force in the mid sixties had taught me the skills
needed to do the sheet metal work and the value of a few essential tools,
the rivet shaver being one.

Yes it is expensive, however so is time and scared up skin! With the rivet
shaver, one or two seconds in my 3/8ths Makita battery drill, and a perfect
contoured rivet identical to all the others with a flawless head, after
replacing two 2 ft square sections of skin and building a rooftop SOLAR
array mounting setup, and about a total of five hundred rivets including
other repair jobs, I think the money I spent at the time, $179 if I
remember correctly, and to me was worth every cent.

A good source for tools I have found for the sheet metal work is "The Yard"
in  Wichita Kansas (www.yardstore.com) 800-888-8991

This outfit sells both new and used tools used in the aircraft sheet metal
trade.

--
Mitch Hill - K1FH
WBCCI 21960