Re: [VAL] Which Olympic rivets?

    Jo Ann,

    Sorry if I wasn't too clear about the door.  Go to
http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives2/71Caravel/index.html and look at
the curbside view of the Caravel identified as "1971 Caravel 2".  Note the
access door aft of the wheel.  That's the one I'm installing on my 1969 that
didn't come with one that year.  It will allow me access to the area beneath
the curbside settee/berth that can only be accessed now by unscrewing the
sheet of 3/4" plywood of the settee.

    I bought the used door with lock (but no key) from Cowlaw or Colaw, an
RV sales and repair facility in Ohio? that I found on the net.

    Before buying the door from them, I contacted Airstream by email (they
have yet to answer that one) and then by phone two weeks ago.  Their
technical staff there approved the addition of the door despite its
positioning smack-dab in the middle of the aft rib at the end cap seam.  I
was advised to rivet the rib top and bottom to the door flange.  They said
that that would provide adequate strength to compensate for the removal of
that section of rib.

    I'll take my time with the cutting and rib attachment so as to do it
right on the first and only try.

    Thanks go to Charlie for the clarification as to what Olympic rivets to
use.  I now only have to locate a shaver tool to complete the job.

    Happy Holidays,

    Glyn