Re: [VAL] old door handle (and paint removal, and other ruminations)

Marc,
    I am no expert, especially on 50's Airstreams, but based upon a review
of the photo's in the Vintage Airstream Club Photo Archives, I basically
agree with you.  It is earler an early 1957 Overlander or a late 1956
Overlander, obviously from California, because of the Whale Tail.  Per the
VAC site, 1957 S/N 6747 didn't have the slanted wheel wells, so yours
(6733) shouldn't have them.  Interestingly, 6747 has the 7 panel end caps
front & rear, not the 13 front and 9 rear (whale tail), so yours might be
just before the change over.  I know I have seem some whale tail '57's
(perhaps only other lengths?), so it appears this change was made during the
1957 model run for California.  Also interesting is that none of the '57
Overlanders on the VAC site have the same windows as yours (nor do the
'56's), but there are a couple of '57 Flying Clouds (22') there that have
the whale tail and similar windows to yours.  One is listed as having an
early '57 S/N (8111).  Of course the '56 Flying Clouds on the VAC site also
have similar windows with the whale tail, so I'm afraid the best I can do is
Late '56 or Early '57.

But either way, it appears you got a real gem for a nice price.  I really
like the 13 panel end cap look over the 7 panel look on a vintage trailer.

Joe
'66 Overlander
'85 25' Sovereign