[VAL] New Val list member, and new Airstreamer

Howdy folks.

It's recommended I take a moment to introduce myself instead of just fire
away. After all it's good manners!  Anyways, much of what I'd ask related
to state condition and restoration/rehabilitation. All of which will make
more sense why I'm asking if you know the project.

So here goes: My name is Marc Lizer. I live in the North Hollywood, CA. AKA
the East San Fernando Valley. I am the proud new owner of a 1957 Airstream
Overlander. (Pix to follow).

 I am new to trailers and new to Airstreams.  I had a unique opportunity. I
am doing a construction project, and need to have a jobsite trailer office.
Mostly it's to keep a copy of the plans at the jobsite, and meet with subs
as needed. A fax, phone and a filling cabinet.

So I get to thinking: rental fee, for ugly brown box, and the duration
needed. That's about$1500.00. I could buy something for that much! Either
fix it up and keep it, or sell it for purchase price. Heck, even if I sell
it for a loss, I'm ahead!

I started looking for an Airstream and quickly found out I wouldn't be able
to go that route.

 I settled on 1952 Happy Home Trailer, made by the Happy Home Trailer
Company in El Monte.  I found it via Craigslist. Pretty decent shape in my
opinion, but it needed work. Had the original stove, fridge, heater and
toilet, and great wood paneling.

After rolling it to the jobsite my contractor sees it and tells me that he
known what I was planning, his buddy had some old trailer on a piece of
land he is going to be developing up in the Chatsworth hills, and to go get
a look at it and see I'm interested.

Needless to say, after seeing it, I can't write him a check fast enough. I
want to firm up a price take it off his hands.  I list the Happy Home on
ebay as I found it, with no improvements, starting bid at 1400.00, as I
figure I'll loose a hundred bucks difference between the Happy Home and
what I'm paying for the Airstream (yes that's right, $1500.00 for it!).

I sold the Happy Home via e-bay for 2150.00 (I really expected it to sell
for less, or even need to re-list it). The new owner is very happy with her
purchase. She's looking forward to fixing it up.

Now to the Overlander. It had no title, and was last registered in 1960,
and has been on jacks since , sitting under an oak tree.   It was
originally used as a construction trailer while a home was being built on
the adjoining parcel, and then used as an extra room.

It is missing the stove, and fridge. As well as the benches and table in
the front area.

The floor has been recovered (plywood and vinyl tiles). The interior has
been painted 2 or three times. The toilet is replaced. It has no blackwater
system, and has new plastic plumbing for all the fixtures, leading out to
city service. It has no freshwater tank, as was run from city service. No
pump or battery for that matter.

All the 110 plugs and fixtures work. Cord is a 30 amp with a funky 3 prong
plug.

Overall not too much aluminum denting and damage. The notable one is this

It has a hydraulic brakes. I have now clue how this system works. But it
does seem to work.

Ask me any other questions that will better help in describing the features
and conditions.

Now to where I'm at so far. I've taken care of registration and title.  I
got rid of the split rim wheels, and think I got a pretty good deal on
them, all 5 cost me just about half of the purchase price of the trailer.

I have a good 8 months to work on it.

I'd love to hear some opinions on what approach some of the seasoned (and
not so seasoned) Airstreamers would approach the project.

But here's the first actual question. Did I peg the ID correctly? I used
one of the Airstream photo archive sites and compared.
It measures 23 feet of just body (no bumper). The tongue is 4 feet long.
Grand total is 27 1/2 feet (with bumper).

It has the Whale Tail rear with 2 bargman #6 (or 9, depending upon how you
look at it?) bezels, and a 13 segment front.

It has rear bathroom.

and 2 twin beds.

It's serial number reads a 6733.

(I'll try and get a better pic of the serial number)

From what I've read the Whale tail is a California thing, but the wheel
well cuts don't have that uneven cut.

So is it another year or another model?

Second question: The interior has been re-painted. Last coat looks to be a
household latex. Underneath a house oil. And under that the Zolatone.  I
want to do bare aluminum in the front and back segmented areas.

What's the best approach to removal? Heat? Chemical? The chem works fine on
the two top layers. but just pisses off the zolatone. What's the best agent
that works upon it?

Lastly, I would like to deal with the door handle. Someone did a repair. It
works. But there has got to be a better way! Is this the original style?
Any leads for a NOS on this part? How about a substitute?

I really do appreciate the vast knowledge base that you all have, and I
hope one day to contribute in return.