[VAL] LP valve question

Hello list-
I have a question regarding LP tanks our 1979 Int'l Sovereign. We have
2 forty pound tanks, converted to the OPD valves this summer. We used
to have gages before the OPD valves stole those holes. Now we have no
way of knowing for sure when we're running low on gas  until we run
out. Interestingly that always seems to happen in the middle of the
night...
So my question is- will LP retailers fill a partially filled tank, and
charge for the amount pumped only? Most of the ones I've run in to
charge by the tank size (assuming, I suppose, that the tank is empty).
I doubt that moving the switching valve to some position between the
two tanks would allow one to empty completely without the other
emptying as well..?

Thanks for the advice!

Chris K.
WBCCI 8638