Re: [VAL] Re: window question

>the front-corner windows to
>the either side of the front, center, opening window. All 3 are covered by
>the rock guard. I don't know how to explain it any better than that.

My 1972 Service Manual terms those "wing windows".

>both leaked, one much worse than the other.

They tend to do that as the seals age.  The problem is common in those years -- if not
universal.

> Has no one else on this list had this problem except with the Vista Views?

Don't understand the lack of comment on the list.  Mine were repaired at Jackson Center.
When they last did one (April), only the exterior glass was available, and only in a lightly
smoked glass.

> Hopefully disassembly of the wing/wrap-around windows is similiar.

Unfortunately, no.  But on page 37 the Service Manual says:

"EXTERIOR WING WINDOW REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT

"1. Remove bottom curtain track in wing window area.

"2. Remove front window screen.

"3. Remove interior window close out by drilling out pop rivets with No. 30 drill.

"4. Remove sheet metal screws around interior perimeter of frame.

"5. Using wide base screwdriver and protecting exterior with piece of wood gently and slowly
pry sash from frame.  Pry only along vertical extrusion between wing window and ctr window.
Inside butyrate tape will readily stretch.

"6. After removal of window clean off butyrate tape and white foam tape.

"7. For installation reverse above.

"NOTE: If new glass and sash is required, it will need new butyrate and white foam tape.  If
window was removed for cleaning install new butyrate and white tape.

"INTERIOR WING WINDOW (EXTERIOR GLASS AND SASH WILL COME OUT WITH IT)

"1. Remove external vertical tie bar between ctr. window and wing window.

"2. Using No. 30 drill, drill out rivets around periphery of wing window [37 rivets on my
unit!].  Note: Use stop on drill to prevent drilling inside close out.

"3. Using putty knife gently pry window loose from shell.

"4. To install apply caulking compound under window flange.

"5. Place window into trailer and install vertical tie bar mating wing window and ctr window
(new tie bar will be required).

"6. Rivet window flange to the side of trailer using Olympic rivets... Note: Use stop on drill
to prevent drilling inside close out.

"Note: If exterior wing glass and sash is allright it can be used again.  See exterior wing
window removal and installation."

If I can help in any other way, please sing out.

              -- Lew #4239

'72 Safari
Still stuck in Ohio.