RE: [VAL] question

Greetings David!

Welcome to the List!

The standard exterior color was a very light beige with orange vinyl
inserts in the beltline and rub-rail moldings.  The following
information was posted to the list by Charlie Burke several years ago
regarding the recent paint code equivalents for the Argosy:

Upper body color: DuPont Centari #44534-A Light Beige

Lower banana skin: Lilly Coatings #7641-A Metallic Brown
(this bottom color various with different models-this
was appropriate for the 1976 Argosy, 24 ft.)

The original colors were provided by Lilly Industrial Coatings. In 1988
Airstream published a list of Dupont Centari substitute numbers. Based
on
that list the Argosy colors through 1977 were:

Upper--Light Beige 44534-A

Lower--Metallic Brown 44721-AM

The '78 Minuets trim color was a much lighter/brighter color than the
standard coaches in '78 - - much more on the burnt orange/orange
metallic spectrum.  In observing the new automobiles, the '78 Minuets
had a copper metallic color utilized on the banana wraps, hitch, LP
tanks, and rear bumper that is quite similar to the Sunburst Orange
Metallic currently being offered by Chevrolet on the Colorado pickup
line - - in fact, this is the color that I am planning to utilize on my
'78 Minuet 6.0 Metre.  The original colors had lead and other components
that the US EPA no longer permits in paints so the modern equivalents in
the US aren't exact matches.

The marker light lenses as well as the tail light lenses are readily
available.  My Airstream dealer, Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa was
able to order an entire set of new replacement lenses for my Minuet from
one of their regular suppliers.  I suspect that if you contact Florence
or Christy in the Parts Department they could obtain the parts and
arrange international shipping.  You can find them on the web at:
http://www.acefogdallrv.com/index.html.

The small, round bathroom exhaust fan and cover are readily available
from several sources.  My Airstream dealer was able to supply the
necessary parts to restore the bathroom vent in my Minuet.  The standard
roof vents (14" x 14") are available, but you might want to consider
what many have been doing here in the US - - the Fantastic Vent fans
replace the original vents beautifully and provide much better
ventilation than the original Airstream components (IMHO).  You can find
the Fantastic Vents via:  http://www.fantasticvent.com/.  If you want to
keep the original Airstream vents, the covers can be replaces but I
don't think that you will find new replacements made from aluminum - - I
believe that the new replacement covers are either fiberglass or Lexan.

If what you need are the plumbing vent stack covers, there isn't an
exact replacement available.  The usual solution is to utilize the
plumbing vent stack covers and gaskets designed for Airstream.  These
have a polished finish but fit the Argosy with minimal modification.
Again, the part should be readily available from an Airstream dealer's
parts department.

I suspect that you will need to cultivate a relationship with a dealer
located in the US or Canada who will assist you in obtaining the parts
that you need.  There are a number of Vintage Friendly dealers here in
the US, Ace Fogdall was closest to me when I first started restoring my
Airstream so I have continued to do business with them despite having
moved more than 500 miles from their location.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359