Re: [VAL] Trailer backing

I used to do all the below with real tractor-trailer rigs that were as long
as 55 - 60 feet in length.  It is much easier to back a long trailer behind
a short tow vehicle than vice versa.  The longer the trailer, the easier it
is to back up.  Backing up with a short wheelbase Airstream is like trying
to back up a riding lawn tractor with a small garden trailer behind you.
But, that's a great way to practice backing short wheelbase units -- I
highly recommend it as you really can't hurt anything but it will give you a
very good idea how F-A-S-T things can get out of hand if you don't watch
what's going on behind you every inch of the way.  It is very, very easy to
jackknife your rig when you have a short wheelbase trailer.

I remember having to drive on the shoulder of a road just past where I
needed to put my trailer 90 degrees to the loading dock WITH the tractor
"bent" at another 90 degrees so I didn't stick out in the traffic.  Try
doing that on a busy highway at rush hour sometime and you will agree that
backing an Airstream of any wheelbase is EASY even at night.

For lighting you may want to consider putting brighter backup lights on your
trailer or installing bright backup lights if you don't have any.  There are
many bright tractor worklights that will mount on the top corners of your
trailer bumper if you don't already have recessed backup lights on the
trailer.  I highly recommend buying the halogen bulb backup lights although
they are expensive at around $20.00 for 2 bulbs but that is a lot less
expensive than a trip to the factory to fix the damage that happened when
you got too tired or it was too dark and you really should NOT have done
what you did.  Hindsight is always 20/20 or even 20/10 at times! ;)

If you can have someone help you backing up that is even better.  We use a
set of the Motorola 5-mile range family channel walkie-talkies or
"walkabouts" for this purpose as well.  And, when one has to hit the
restroom on the highway it's a great way to keep in touch for safety's sake
or for any other emergency as well.

One thing I bought a long time ago was a BIG magnetic light that has a BIG
magnet on the base which allows me to attach it to the rear trailer bumper
for times like these.  You will also need to install a 12-vdc lighter plug
or some other way to get power to it.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a Pep Boys store in NY and picked up a
Coleman battery powered portable light that is rechargeable with either AC
or DC power, including a 12-vdc lighter plug adapter.  This light has a
sealed lead/acid battery and 2,000.000 candle-power bulb which really lights
up the night.  Cost?  A mere $10.00!  What a deal that was and they should
still be around if you check out your local Pep Boys store.  I've seen them
at other auto parts stores for as much as $25.00.

Tom
WBCCI 5303