[VAL] Replacement heater

Hello all:  Have to replace or repair my original heater in the 1969  25ft
Tradewind.  Has anyone done this with a direct  replacement......meaning not
having to cut new vent holes etc.  Some posts  about dying in my sleep have me
worried enough that I will not try to repair the  current heater.  It make loud
metal on metal noises when the fan goes on  but otherwise works well.  Thanks
for any help.

Tom Fairbank
1969 Tradewind, original forced air gas heater.