[VAL] Adding an extra light

    All,

    Some 1969 Airstreams have a unique design to the inside overhead, namely
two raceways (troughs) that run from one end cap to the other 18" apart on
either side of the vent and light.

    I happen to have several original, rectangular, 4-bulb fixtures and
wanted to have overhead illumination back there, so I took advantage of the
curbside one tonight to complete the wiring for it.

    These raceways are about 2" wide and protrude 3/4" below the inner skin.
Actually, they're a part the self-same sheet of vinyl clad aluminum that
comprises the inner skin, they're just bent into shape.

    What got me thinking all this through is that I'm preparing for the
addition of a factory stock overhead fan in the one front vent.  Gerald's
excellent suggestion to just drill out the inner, curbside rivets around the
vent allowed me to pull the inner skin down a bit to grab a factory provided
12"-15" loop of a pair of 12 v wires from within the insulation.  Splicing
into this was obviously how power was gotten for the fan and that got me
thinking about adding the second light aft.

    Well , the wire is pulled, wire nuts in place and taped.  Power is not
restored forward and provision for the fan and aft light done.

    I tied a messenger line to an electricians snake and fed it aft down the
raceway.  Marilyn fished a wire hook through a 2" hole I drilled into the
overhead where I want the light to go and snagged the messenger line on the
first try, UNBELIEVEABLE!  I then tied two #12 wires to the line and pulled
them through.

    The sun has now gone down so tomorrow I'll wire and attach the fixture
in place feed the fan wires through the grommet and the job will be done
except for riveting the inner skin back in place.  When it's all done, it'll
look just like a factory installation.

    So to those of you with similar overhead raceways who want to add a
light aft (maybe Caravel owners only?), that's how I did mine.

    Glyn Judson
    1969 Caravel #508
    Santa Monica CA