[VAL] Tappan range

I just acquired a 1963 Globe Trotter that has a Tappan range.  I am banking
on it working, but probably won't know until spring.  If it doesn't I'll let
the list know.  I do know I need a knob for it, so if you find parts please
let me know now.

Since I am making a post I will introduce myself.  My husband and I live in
Vermont on an old  hill side farm. He is a draftsman for an alternative
energy company and I teach at the local school.   We raise sheep as a hobby,
because I have Border Collie which I train for sheep dog trials.  So from a
dog to sheep to trials to a trailer is how I ended up interested in vintage
trailers. I do dabble in antiques.  I started with a 1971 Shasta, which I
use, and am in the midst of refreshening a 1968 Shasta with the wonderful
birch veneer.

I am getting to the Globetrotter.  Just recently driving down a back road in
Vermont I found her sitting in a field looking very neglected.  Knocked on
the door and the rest is history.  Just a note to the folks who are talking
about sleeping in their Airstream when it's cold out.  The person who  I
bought the trailer from, said he bought it from people who were living in it
YEAR ROUND.  We get 30 below in Vermont.  All you need is a warm sleeping
bag.

THe outside has one small dent in the roof, still has the hub cabs, needs a
new jack, which will be put on today, and a new step. The door is in fine
shape - a latch is needed for the middle of the door that opens up and the
door knob needs to be put back on.  Of course it will need new tires and
tanks.

The inside was full of junk, but cleaned up nicely.  The bathroom is
complete, but have no idea if it works.   I even have the funky bathroom
cabinet. I need to get a new folding door and back window (cracked) at some
point.  I bet that back window is going to be expensive?????

The two couches are fine. I have one set of cushions and the other is gone.
At least I have a pattern to work off of. I have the tracks for the
curtains, which I don't quiet understand how they went on, but will deal
with that later.  We will probably turn the front area into a dinette.

 The kitchen has the Tappan stove and sink, but the refrigerator is gone.
They took it out and put in an electric one, which we now use in the garage.
The counters and cabinets are in good shape. The heater was removed, but I
have it.  The hot water heater is intact.  I have some of the original
lights - the boxy ones , but the cone shaped shades are gone on the other
lights.  Lot of lights in this trailer.

The tiles on the floor need to be replaced and I have started to work at
this difficult task of taking up the tiles.  I have been reading various web
sites that people have created to show you the process they have gone
through to restore their Airstream  They are really helpful. I am off to the
Hardware store soon to hopefully get stuff to help get these tiles up
quicker than a hammer and a chisel.  Oh yes, the floor is not soft anywhere,
but I do wonder about what's under the bathroom fixtures??????

The big questions are the systems - water, electric and gas - supposedly
they worked 8 years ago.  Hopefully by this fall my husband will be able to
investigate what condition the water and electrical systems are in.  Then in
the spring we will take the trailer to an RV dealer to check out the gas
system.  Note I have dragged my husband into this new found passion.

I love the look of the Airstream, but must say I love the warmth and
compactness of the Shasta.  My little Shastas have far more storage space
than the Airstream.  So it's going to be a tough decision which one I keep
or if I keep one of each.  Three trailers is a bit much and I am sure the
neighbors wonder what I will acquire next.  The other problem will be a tow
vehicle, since my standard shift V6 Ford Explorer may not be a good tow
vehicle for the Airstream.

I have lots of questions, but not ready to post many.  I am still reading
past posts and websites on Airtreams.  In the few weeks I have been on the
list, I have cut and pasted information that will help us down the road.

Just one question, if you got this far - do the sinks drain into the holding
tank or on to the ground in a 1963 Globetrotter. Thanks for listening and
thanks for all the good information.