Re: [VAL] Re: VAL Digest V2 #1

    Cathy, you shouldn't be scared, -just aware... A new furnace will run
about $400 to $500 or so, and a CO detector that I would bet my life on
would *start* at $200-$300; The (cheaper) little 'smoke detector ' types are
just "better than nothing".

    Electric space heater units (IMHO) -are a trade-off for an increased
fire risk, and limit you to campgrounds with enough electric to carry them-
A/C units with heating rods or coils might be the exception, and they're OK
for mildly cool temps, but not for real frosty mornings.... (and, if the
circuit breaker lets go in the middle of the night, it's gonna get cold in
there.)

    I pulled the following from the website of a company that makes CO
"sniffers" (I don't guarantee the accuracy of the figures), but it changed
my perspective about not wanting to spend the $1000 or so to replace the two
furnaces in my '85 Classic (they've both been giving me a lot of trouble
lately, anyway)...:

"Carbon Monoxide is often called "the silent killer," because it gives no
clear warning to its victims. It is an invisible gas with no taste or smell.
Even small concentrations of Carbon Monoxide in the ambient air can create a
health hazard because the exposure to CO reduces the blood's ability to
carry oxygen. "

"Effects at various concentrations of CO:

9 ppm: The maximum allowable concentration for short-term exposure in a
living ambient.

35 ppm: The maximum allowable concentration for continuous exposure in any
eight hour period, according to ASHRAE .

According to US federal law, OSHA:

200 ppm: The maximum allowable concentration for any time,  Headaches,
fatigue, nausea after 2-3 hours.

800 ppm: Nausea and convulsions within 45 min. Death within 2-3 hours.

3200 ppm: Headache and nausea within 5-10 min. Death within 30 min."

    I hope this helps-    Jack