Re: [VAL] 12 volt refridg

I have just finished phase one of my 65 caravel restoration. Phase one
is: cleanup, repair, repaint, what I  have. The original refrigerator
was replaced with an ice box by the previous owner and it was in sad
shape. I had to replace the water pump so I added two large deep marine
batteries and an intelligent charger. I decided to go for a 110 VAC
Magic Chef. It cost $135 at Home Depot. The power consumption is a
little over 1 Amp @ 110V, or roughly 10A @ 12V. The duty  rate is 50%(
runs 1/2 of the time), so in 24 Hrs 60AHrs. The batteries are 120AHr
each, therefore four days before a totally dead battery. I have a very
small inverter dedicated to the refrigerator, $15. When traveling, the
car recharges the batteries and at night I use a Honda EU2000 for a few
hours to put new life into the batteries. The refrigerator is cheaper,
the case is not very robust and the mounting required drilling holes
into the outer shell otherwise it vibrates out of position when
rolling. The other AC device I installed was a small microwave because
the stove really needs an overhaul. The microwave requires the EU2000.

Phase two will replace the stock built-in cabinets, add a dinette in
place of the front gaucho, and buff the outside.

Joel