[VAL] What was it?

Greetings All:
    We're back from Yellowstone after 2 weeks of bears and elk and bison
and in pursuit of the mythical trout of the Madison River - fish 2 vs
Jo Ann 1. On the trip home we came down part of Hwy 101 and saw a neat
old Airstream that I can't identify.
    Specs:  about 15 or less feet in length - it was shorter than my
Bubble.
     			Rear window in two(?) sections, one atop the other
			From the rear, it had 6 slices/panels on either side of the center
panel which didn't appear to me to have the Dutchman's cap look.
			I never did get a look at the curb side although I tried so many
driving maneuvers to see it that I thought my husband might leap from
the car! The rear end looked as though the bottom panel had been
replaced with new aluminum and the rivets ran down to the banana peel
almost in a line either side of the rear window but I'm almost positive
that was not an original part of the trailer. The door was on the curb
side. The roof looked as though it had been painted white at some time
and the paint removed by a sander or drill sander that left pretty
obvious swirl patterns. The license plate was an old California plate,
black with yellow numerals and writing. Anybody have an idea on what it
was?
Jo Ann
p.s. It was traveling south on 101 from around Paso Robles to San Luis
Obispo where we exited.