[VAL] My ball joints are killing me

    All,

    I have gold, cone shaped, spun aluminum interior lights that swivel in a
sort of ball socket that have come loose and are driving me crazy.

    Over time, the balls have pried themselves from the socket as a result
of being forced too far.

    I've thought of some sort of swaging tool using a small stainless steel
hose clamp but can't get past the fact that the keeper is tapered such as to
force the clamp off the socket as it's tightened.  I've also used a pair of
pliers to close that tapered lip but it buggers up the metal to do so and
the result isn't that tight anyway.

    Does anyone have a neat trick for permanently getting the ball to stay
back in the socket and forcing the keeper lip back into its original shape
without too much disfiguration?

    Thanks,

    Glyn