Re: [VAL] best tow vehicle

Hi Guys and Gals,

I use an '02 Powerstroke diesel in a crew cab 4X4 F250.  Don't knock the 4X4
as I had to use it several times this past weekend to get my trailer up and
down some gravel roads to a camping spot.    Towing my 5K # trailer
in the western foothills of Virginia this weekend, my fuel went down to 12
mpg from the usual average 14 for towing.  I also have the Hensley Arrow
hitch.  Never a moment worry about sudden sharp mountain turns (yes, hairpin
turns with 9 % grades).  The turbo kicks in when needed and there's never a
worry about keeping the speed up where it belongs.

Don't know how the new Ford 600 CC diesel performs, but I hear that it has
100 more hp and torque than the 710 + that I have, and the 6 (?) speed
tranny for the new Ford does a great job at finding the right combo.  I also
hear that Ford put the service/maintenance stuff where it's accessible! :)

I'm sure the new Dodge or GM diesel combos are more quite and perform great.

Guess I'm saying that I like a diesel for towing vs. gas.  Talked to many on
the road using diesel pullers and everyone was completely satisfied.  Steep
mountains, desert heat, etc.  the diesel keeps the AC going full blast and .
.  .

The long wheel base and ABS braking combined with the trailer braking can't
be beat.

                                             Regards, '69 Safari, Joy (aka
Joy T Brew)