Re: [VAL] Starting an airconditioner compressor

Dr G,

If we ever get to park close together it will be when the weather is cold
enough that I must run the Airstream heater; only.  In RV parks I run my a/c
to keep the interior cool for the our dogs that always, always travel with
us.  If we are on the road having fun the so are our animals; no locking
them up at our vet's office for them.

Running my a/c also keeps the dogs from hearing what is going on outside so
they don't contribute to any excess "noise" pollution by barking at strange
sounds to them.  When parked with the windows closed and the a/c on I also
leave on music to mask any noise my dogs *might* hear to which they might
bark and disturb others.

I'm very aware of my surroundings and I try my best to keep my dogs *quiet*
so that they hardly, if ever, disturb other neighbors.  I do the same thing
at our home; my dogs do *not* cause problems, I won't allow it to happen and
as such I feel that I am doing both my dogs and others what is expected out
of me as an animal owner.

Don't you wish *all* pet owners were as thoughtful?  I sure do!

We've come back to our spot at an RV park and when we take the dogs for a
walk people actually stop and tell us that they had "no idea dogs were in
your trailer."  To which I reply, "Good!  No one is supposed to hear them."
That's the ideal situation for us; quiet, peaceful animals that don't bother
anyone's camping experience.

So you see, I'm just as biased the other way because it keeps my animals
comfortable and *quiet* and no one complains about us being noisy and
thoughtless neighbors.

Granted, in an RV park we would be hooked up (if we are lucky!) to service
that is able to handle our needs which currently is 30-amps.  Should I ever
put in a second a/c I will need more, maybe.  Since the a/c on this
Airstream is in the middle of the trailer and it's the larger unit since
ours is a 34' model installing a second seems doubtful at this point in
time.

It is when we are on the road and want to stop and visit an area like a nice
shopping or dining area that the generator would be extremely handy to have.
To be able to stop and go shopping or have dinner knowing that my dogs are
safe and sound and cool and sleeping and listening to music is the best of
all situations for us.  I can't tell you how many times we've been unable to
stop and enjoy the local scene because we always have to ask ourselves,
"What are we going to do about the dogs?"  If it's a quiet area on some
lonely island next to the waterway it's not a problem usually, if the
weather is *not* a factor; either too hot or too cold.

We are not the type of people that would leave our animals in the vehicle
while we do the town and let others deal with our creatures, we just don't
DO that.  So, I have to take care of my animals the best way I know how.

Sorry if you are not big on my generator idea but I'm just as sure that some
others are reading this exchange of information and finding it interesting
to say the least.

Tom