Re: [VAL] Replacement gas lines

    David,

    Let me share with you my experience using rubber hose on our sailboat.
This hose is regulation material from my local propane shop.  The kind of
shop where they'll make up whatever hoses and fittings you want, pressing
the fittings on in large, expensive machines.

    I have two lines coming from my propane locker (remember this is a
sailboat with no way to vent the heavier-than-air propane out the bottom) to
each of my appliances, my stove and heater.  Those two hoses by the way, are
USCG regulation.  There can't be any Tee fittings, thus the two hose
requirements, despite both appliances being near one another.  Anyway, I
digress (so what's new?).

    It's been my experience that in the almost ten years I've had two sets
of hoses plumbed into our boat, that they will not hold gas in the line over
time.

    So what does this mean to the user?  It's not too bad with the stove
because it's closer to the tank but is a bit of a pain for my heater.  It
takes a little time to get gas to the burners before they will light.  The
heater being farther away from the tank by twice the distance of the stove
takes about 1-2 minutes of holding the valve open before it lights.

    Now some explanation is necessary.  The burners in the stove are larger
than in the heater and as I said, the heater is closer.  That said, the
stove takes about 5-10 seconds to light.

    I've posted this dilemma to my sail group and they all concur that they
experience the same bleeding off.  When asking the propane shop about the
problem, they say they've never heard of it.  I don't think they are
deliberately trying to deceive me, it could be explained by the fact that
they don't necessarily use the products they sell, that's all.

    So take this for what it's worth.  there might be some added safety from
chafe by using rubber as opposed to copper but it might frustrate you when
trying to light your appliances.  At least if you go the rubber route,
you'll know that your appliances aren't to blame.

    By the way, both of my boat appliances are full sized, made by Force 10.
Are you reading this Jo Ann?

    Regards,

    Glyn