Re: [VAL] Tires

Hi Joann,

Not to worry, you're not in trouble at all.  It sounds like your tires are
within specs, even with the funny name.  The total weight they COULD carry
would be 3640 (total trailer weight) and they're now carrying 2900, or 1450
each, so you're OK there, but I think I'd run 45 psi in them and see how it
tows.

When you buy new tires, I'd suggest a few more plies, but since you said they
were new, I wouldn't rush out and replace them anytime soon.  They'll last a
LOT longer if you cover them whenever possible...it's the sun on the sidewalls
we're worried about, not wearing out the tread.

On the truck, as long as your tongue weight (that's the weight on the tow ball
on the back of the truck) is no less than 10% of the total weight of the
trailer (in your case, it should be a minimum of 290 lbs.), and not much more
than 25%, Ms. Bubble will tow like she had oughta.  You can use good home
scale to check your tongue weight.

One more thing to think about:  when you changed the axle, and in the process
the height, does Bubble still sit fairly level when she's connected to the
truck and ready for the road?  It doesn't have to be exactly level on the
bubble (ha!), but you want it eyeball close.

Do you have the square receiver on your pickup, if so, and you need to adjust
for level, there are lots of over the counter ball carriers out there.  If the
ball is just a little low, you might consider adjustable air shocks on the
truck...they'll compensate for a little change, or heavier loads when you're
just using the pickup to haul heavy stuff for all your friends.

If the ball is too high, you can put your Harley in the back of the pickup, or
maybe a nice Onan generator right over the axle?  Then you'd be completely
self-contained and ready for 'boondocking' with a microwave or AC.  Ah...the
rough life....ain't it grand?

Best regards,

Mark in Modesto