Re: [VAL] electrical woes

Hi Guys,

Just an off the wall observation of my '69 Safari that could be quite
different in electrical.

The yellow or orange wire that powers the tongue jack also powers the break
away?  There is an "A" frame ground.  When I traced the wire (it corroded
off at the entry into the "A" frame) I had to drop the belly up front to
trace the wire.  Unlike later models, the umbilical plugs into the front of
the Safari.

The leg of the "A" frame extends about 4 feet beyond the front of the
trailer toward the entry door.  The wire then returns to the front and up to
the control panel.  I agree that it must complete the circuit to the
battery, but never traced it beyond.  I'm out of pocket and can't get to the
service manual.  Most likely, the yellow connects with the blue, the charge
line from the umbilical.

Once I could pull the wire out of the "A" frame and splice in a section, I
stopped work.

Recently, I found that the switch on the jack was badly corroded inside and
the jack worked in one direction to it's limit and stopped.  Try as I may I
couldn't fix the switch, I finally had to order another switch.  I verified
the condition of the motor by wiring it directly from another battery and
by-passing the switch.  The motor didn't turn at this point.  The
manufacturer says that most users burn the motor out because it is locked.

As I recall, the armature had corrosion and locked against the field plate.
A sure condition for burn out if I hadn't taken the motor apart and cleaned
out the rust.  A resistance test verified that the field windings were OK.

All this done, the new switch in place, the jack works fine.  Also got a
small water proof bonnet to cover the jack head to help prevent future
corrosion of the switch and/or motor.  Just didn't think water could get
inside the motor.  But it did!

Keep in mind that the tongue jack draws a lot of DC current and the #10 wire
can overheat, lose insulation and burn off from corrosion and or melt.

Just my thoughts.

                         '69 Safari, Joy