[VAL] Aluminum tanks - polished?

Steve,

By all means buy the aluminum tanks, either privately or through a
reseller like Airstream Dreams.

Shining them up is easy to do with a paste called Mothers aluminum
polish. It comes in a small red and white container (1/2 pint for $5)
but the stuff goes a long, long ways. There are other products but this
one is readily available for getting started.

In my opinion, polished aluminum bottles make a subtle statement about
pride in ownership toward an otherwise ordinary looking Airstream.

For nearly ten years, our ordinary looking '67 22' Safari underwent
numerous improvements. During those years, all I did was keep the
exterior clean and the aluminum bottles polished. I didn't want our rig
to stand out, but I did want modern equipment for propane distribution.

Last year, when refurbishing was finally completed, I went whole hog
with polishing the entire exterior. It turned out to be a more dramatic
difference than we anticipated, especially with our 17' mirror shined
aluminum canoe on top of our restored 1975 Mercury Station Wagon tow
vehicle.

At first we didn't know what to do with all the attention, but it has
grown on us. The question most often asked by the general public is
"Where can we find an old Airstream to restore?" That's an easy
question to answer. But, it's during the ensuing conversation that we
share the excitement and satisfaction we feel for bringing one of these
beauties back from oblivion.

Everyone is different, even at different times during the camping
season. Sometimes we want to fade into the woodwork. On those
occasions, we use one of our other ordinary looking Airstreams (with
the shiny aluminum bottles). We're still kids at heart when it comes to
playing with our toys.

Terry

'67 22' Safari
'63 22' Flying Cloud