[VAL] Re: Beatrice Foods years

Being well into the process of tearing apart and rebuilding the
interior of a "Beatrice" ('73 Safari, rear bath), I have a comment and
a question.

The comment is that I've not seen anything in the FUNCTIONAL quality to
give me any pause. Mind, this is not shell-off project, but not too far
from it: many of the interior panels removed, ditto the belly pan.
Thanks to this list I'm aware of the structural issues that have hit
some of the longer rear-bath units of this vintage, and with that in
mind (and while things were apart under there) I did weld in some extra
support. That caution was largely due to converting to two group 27
batteries back there, even though removal of the black tank (going
Porta-Potty) and use of a more modern, lighter,
converter/inverter/charger probably compensated for that. Point is,
everything of importance that I've seen has looked well-designed,
solid, and competently constructed.

That said, I've been amazed at the amount of sloppy work I've found in
areas that were hidden and, admittedly, of no practical consequence. A
good example would be holes cut in the skin for such things as the
range hood vent and radio speakers: they seem to have been angrily
hacked out by an unskilled worker with dull tin snips--rough, bent,
dangerously  jagged edges like a shark's maw. The question is: is this
kind of sloppy, if inconsequential, workmanship common in the other
decades, both older and newer, or is it a symptom of the "Beatrice
years"?

  Rob