RE: [VAL] Airstream Quest Continued . . .

Joy, I know you've already pulled out and are on your way, but
I'll go ahead and answer your question for future reference.

It's kinda hard to tell from the pictures I sent you, but both
holding tanks sit down inside a galvanized metal box that is
fitted up in-between, and bolted to, the frame rails and
cross members on all four sides.  Styrofoam insulation
surrounds each side, and the bottom, of each tank.  There
is fiberglass batting in-between the tops of the tanks
and the bottom of the floor.

There is no belly pan underneath the box that holds the tanks
as the bottom of the box is flush with the surrounding
belly pan.

The galvanized box on mine held up very well with only very
minor surface rust in one small patch despite the fact that
water had leaked into this area (the styrofoam was completely
saturated with water).  I feel the frame rails held up fairly
well too considering they were only painted.  The most
damage being to the most rear-ward section adjacent to the
bumper where that side of the galvanized box does not rise
up as far (allowing for the drains/waste gates to exit).

Sorry about the complicated explanations, but the pictures
should help clarify.

Jim / '76 Sovereign