[VAL] Airstream Quest Continued . . .

Hi All,

Need some information about a '73 Airstream '27 foot that I hope the VAlist
can provide.  I leave in the morning to inspect the unit and need some
information.

First, is this the year/length that is involved with the rear sag?  I looked
at a '70 of the same length and the rear floor was gone and the expected
moving bumper was evident.  Also, up at the wheel well, there was a
significant buckle on the street  side and a slight buckle on the curb side.
I'm hoping that Airstream got it right by '73?  Hope I don't have to walk
away from the '73 as I did with the '70.  An inexperienced buyer of the '70
may want to salvage rather than restore as the damage is extensive.

Second, the bathroom floor is missing in the '73 and I have considerable
experience with my '69 Safari floor replacement.  However, my '74 Argosy has
a different means of attachment of the shell to the frame than the '69
Safari.  The Safari has the floor pinched between the cross frame and the
monocoque along with the bumper hatch shelf that directs water into the
floor and .  .  . disaster.  The Argosy has the monocoque connected directly
to the frame and the bath floor rests on a cross member in front of the
monocoque/frame connection.  Simplifies floor restoration as frame
separation isn't an issue.  This said, what's the consensus about bolt rivet
replacement to ensure that frame separation won't occur.

Third,  the holding tanks seem to be running parallel to the main frame
rails.  I seem to recall seeing pictures of floor restoration with this
arrangement.  Are the holding tank shrouds subject to the same deterioration
as in my Safari?

Fourth,  With the floor completely rotted out across the rear and under the
commode, what is the list's opinion of frame/cross member deterioration?
Seems that the floor may have been saturated from a leaking commode
valve/plumbing.  Seems probable that there was freeze damage that I'll have
to inspect.

The unit doesn't have a battery, making it difficult to check out the
seller's statement of the operational aspects of accessories.  I'll try to
use my emergency truck starting battery pack for the purpose.  Hopefully
this is OK?

Sure appreciate any information the list thinks might be valuable in
assessment of the restorability of this unit.

                     Regards, '69 Safari, Joy