[VAL] Battery charger questions

The earlier questions about batter chargers brought a different
question to my mind. I have a "marine" type battery in my trailer
because they are suppose to be designed to handle slow draw-down
better. Is it true that once you start to draw the battery down you
should not recharge it until it is completely flat? I have been told
that if you don't it will not hold as much juice the next time. Also,
I have also been told that you should always trickle charge it back
up, never more than a few amps at a time. Are these all examples of
urban myths?
  Joe
  1964 Tradewind
  1990 Suburban