[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V1 #261 - Rear axle

We have been doing well with a '98 Chevy van: 5.7 Vortec 225 HP, 1T 15 seat
size, 3.73 axle. We have pulled a 6,500#+ TT over the Rockies with no
problems. It has the standard transmission cooler.
We searched for one with a 8100 engine (340 HP) but perhaps the 5700 is just
as good?
On our most recent trip the van was over 8,500# (incl. tongue weight) and
the trailer was nearly 7,000# on its wheels.
We get 9-10 mpg towing and 17+ mpg without a trailer. It stays in 4th gear
("overdrive") much of the time.

Has anyone any experience with the helical gear differential? Gleason made
and sold the Torsen for a number of years but it is now off the market.
There are a couple of similar diffs. available that claim to have solved the
problems with the Gleason units.
I am considering installing one of these units in the van. Any input?
Al