[VAL] Choice of fasteners

    All,

    I've been watching the recent thread on the subject of the ideal
fastener or close to it and want to share with you my unorthodox choice of
screws I used throughout the scratch-built Gaucho, back rest and arm rests
in my Caravel.  By the way, I drove my last screw two days ago into the
batten inside the bottom edge of the galley cabinets under which I laid new,
almost matching vinyl tiles but I mentioned that to you the other day.

    I chose to use drywall screws for virtually every task requiring a
fastener.  They drive well into wood, and seem to be as tight as I'd expect
a wood screw to be.  They appear to be very hard and I didn't bugger a
single Phillips thread at any time.  My 1969 Caravel was designed to have
the backrest flip up to make room for sleeping beneath and that's where I
used stainless steel screws in the four stainless steel piano hinges I
fitted to lift the two halves (curbside and streetside) of the backrest.
That split design was my own invention because I'd run out of a long enough
piece of the 3/4" birch and didn't want to buy another one at $50+ bucks
just for a sliver of long wood for the factory, one-piece length.

    Ironically, I'm going to the lumber yard tomorrow to buy yet another
sheet, this time to remanufacture the flimsy, pullout curbside quarter
berth?  currently made from 3/8" plywood.  When resting on it, it actually
bows under body weight and that's intolerable.  I've gotten pretty good at
cutting curves to fit the corners of the trailer's inner skin using a tick
stick and a T-square, something I'll be deep into again tomorrow.

    Thoughts, comments on my choice of fastener beyond what's already been
shared, or is there no more to say?  If push came to shove, I could remove
every screw and replace with a recommended better alternative.  that said,
every appropriate joint has been glued before the countersunk hole I drilled
was filled with these screws.  Everything is as solid as a rock (now).

    I agree with Gerald about the wonder of Robertson square slot screws.
We used to live in Vancouver BC, Canada where I was first introduced to
them.  In one instance, I was installing an AC circuit panel to the wall
using them and had to let go of the screwdriver.  It actually stayed engaged
in the square head and remained horizontal, being held there only by the
screw head alone.  I was very impressed.  Those of you with access to
Robertson screws and the drivers can easily repeat my experience to the
amazement of the small family audience you summon up to watch.  ; - )

    Regards,

    Glyn