Re: [VAL] 67 door locks and other stuff

hi sharon
you have lots of questions, some of which i can offer some advice.

< Below the
locking doorknob, there is a deadbolt affair, but it is missing the outside
piece, and the inside piece does not turn the middle pieces. I went and
looked on the VAC faq page, but the page does not seem to address the
separate lock below the hand set. >

it is my understanding that your trailer did not have a factory installed
deadbolt, however IMHO, it should have. with your door hinged on the left,
if it were to pop open while tooling down the road, you could have hinge
damage, door frame damage or worst no door at all. its good insurance and
the last thing i always check before moving my trailer.

<On my trailer, there is a water tank filler at the front, and in the
manual, it shows a picture in the back of a water inlet hose, along with
pressure relief valves, ect. I gather that you fill up the tank in the
front with your own trusty hose, and the water pump pumps water out of it.
The hose in the back is where you attach the city/whatever water, and the
pressure from that line is what pressurizes the trailer. Correct?>

correct! originally there were valves that you could turn that would also
allow for the fresh water tank to be filled by the city water connection.
many times this function has been disabled by a prior owner.

<The nasty...
The toilet is off, as I gather something broke/leaked. It looks like I have
the original, which is all plastic, and a replacement, which is porcelain.>

i believe that the porcelain is the original, it is in my '66 but they might
have changed in your year. toilets are one of the biggest challenges in
restoration. if the original one works, that's great news. chances are it
will not. usually the problem is with the water supply and not the dump
feature. many times the associated water supply values leak or do not work
at all. the dump or flush feature could work just fine.  some like me have
disconnected the water supply line to the toilet and use a spray wand tapped
into the water supply to wash down after use. others put in a new version
toilet but that creates lots of new problems as to installation, form and
fit.

best of luck
harry
66 safari